Sweet Is the Work
Lyrics from A Collection of Sacred Hymns for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Europe, 1840
1. Sweet is the work, my God, my King,
To praise thy name, give thanks, and sing;
To show thy love by morning light,
And talk of all thy truth at night.
2. Sweet is the day of sacred rest,
No mortal care shall seize my breast;
O may my heart in tune be found,
Like David's harp, of solemn sound.
3. My heart shall triumph in my Lord,
And bless his works, and bless his word.
Thy works of grace how bright they shine,
How deep thy councils, how divine!
4. But, O! what triumphs shall I raise
To thy dear name, through endless days;
When in the realms of joy I see
Thy face, in full felicity.
5. Sin, my worst enemy before,
Shall vex my eyes and ears no more;
My inward foes shall all be slain,
Nor Satan break my peace again.
6. Then shall I see, and hear, and know
All I desired or wished below;
And every pow'r find sweet employ
In that eternal world of joy.