Begin, My Tongue, the Heavenly Theme
Sheet Music with Tunes Not Previously Associated with This Text
- To the tune Auld Lang Syne
- Poet: The arranger of the lyrics is currently still being determined, but the original poet was probably Isaac Watts (see Begin, My Tongue, Some Heavenly Theme).
- Copyright: Public Domain
Lyrics from A Collection of Sacred Hymns for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Europe, 1840
1. Begin, my tongue, the heavenly theme,
Awake, my heart, and sing
The word, unchangeably the same,
Of our eternal King.
2. Tell of his wondrous faithfulness,
And sound his power abroad;
Sing the sweet promise of his grace,
And the performing God.
3. Proclaim, "Salvation from the Lord,
To wretched, dying men:"
His hand hath writ the sacred word
With an immortal pen.
4. Engraved as in eternal brass,
The mighty promise shines;
Nor can the powers of darkness rase
Those everlasting lines.
5. Yes, every word of grace is strong
As that which built the skies;
The voice that rolls the stars along
Speaks all the promises.
6. O, might I hear that heavenly tongue
But whisper, "Thou art mine!"
That gracious word should raise my song
To notes almost divine.