When God's Own People Stand in Need
- Copyright: Public Domain
Lyrics from A Collection of Sacred Hymns for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Europe, 1840
1. When God's own people stand in need,
His goodness will provide supplies;
Thus, when Elijah faints for bread,
A raven to his succour flies.
2. At God's command, with speedy wings,
The hungry bird resigns its prey,
And to the rev'rend prophet brings
The needful portion day by day.
3. This method may be counted strange;
But happy was Elijah's lot;
For nature's course shall sooner change
Than God's dear children be forgot.
4. This wonder has been oft renewed,
And saints, by sweet experience, find
Their evils overruled for good,
Their foes to friendly deeds inclined.
5. Who shall distrust that mighty hand
Which rules with universal sway,
Which nature's laws can countermand,
Or feed us by a bird of prey?