The Morning Breaks
- Hudson, by George Careless (1839–1932)
- Poet: Parley Parker Pratt (1807–1857)
- Copyright: Public Domain
Lyrics from A Collection of Sacred Hymns for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Europe, 1840
1. The morning breaks, the shadows flee,
Lo! Zion's standard is unfurled!
The dawning of a brighter day
Majestic rises on the world.
2. The clouds of error disappear
Before the rays of truth divine -
The glory bursting from afar,
Wide o'er the nations soon will shine.
3. The Gentile fullness now comes in,
And Israel's blessings are at hand:
Lo! Judah's remnant, cleansed from sin,
Shall in their promised Canaan stand.
4. Jehovah speaks! let earth give ear,
And Gentile nations turn and live -
His mighty arm is making bare
His cov'nant, people to receive.
5. Angels from heaven and truth from earth
Have met, and both have record borne:
Thus Zion's light is bursting forth,
To bring her ransomed children home.