On Jordan's Stormy Banks I Stand
- Copyright: Public Domain
Lyrics from A Collection of Sacred Hymns for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Europe, 1840
1. On Jordan's stormy banks I stand,
And cast a wishful eye,
To Canaan's fair and happy land,
Where my possessions lie.
2. O the transporting rapt'rous scene,
That rises to my sight!
Sweet fields arrayed in living green,
And rivers of delight!
3. There gen'rous fruits that never fail,
On trees immortal grow:
There rocks, and hills, and brooks, and vales,
With milk and honey flow.
4. All o'er those wide extended plains,
Shines one eternal day;
There God the Son for ever reigns,
And scatters night away.
5. No chilling winds nor pois'nous breath,
Can reach that healthful shore;
Sickness and sorrow, pain and death,
Are felt and feared no more.
6. When shall I reach that happy place,
And be for ever blest?
When shall I see my Father's face,
And in his bosom rest?
7. Filled with delight, my raptured soul,
Would here no longer stay!
Though Jordan's waves around me roll,
Fearless I'd launch away.
8. There on those high and flow'ry plains,
Our spirits ne'er shall tire;
But in perpetual, joyful strains,
Redeeming love admire.