O'er the Gloomy Hills of Darkness
- Warning: This song may contain terms offensive to some groups, at least in modern times, due to the culture at the time it was written.
- Copyright: Public Domain
Lyrics from A Collection of Sacred Hymns for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Europe, 1840
8 7 8 7 4 7
1. O'er the gloomy hills of darkness,
Look, my soul, be still, and gaze;
All the promises do travail
With a glorious day of grace;
Let thy glorious morning dawn.
2. Let the Indian, let the Negro,
Let the rude Barbarian see,
That divine and glorious conquest
Once obtained on Calvary.
Let the Gospel
Soon resound from pole to pole.
3. Kingdoms wide that sit in darkness,
Grant them, Lord, the glorious light;
And from eastern coast to western,
May the morning chase the night;
Chase the darkness
From their long benighted eyes.
4. Fly abroad, thou mighty Gospel,
Win and conquer, never cease;
So Immanuel's fair dominions
Shall extend, and still increase,
Till the kingdoms
Of the world are all his own.