Mortals Awake! With Angels Join
- Copyright: Public Domain
Lyrics from A Collection of Sacred Hymns for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Europe, 1840
1. Mortals awake! with angels join,
And chant the solemn lay;
Love, joy, and gratitude combine,
To hail the auspicious day.
2. In heaven the rapt'rous song began,
And sweet seraphic fire,
Through all the shining legions ran,
And swept the sounding lyre.
3. The theme, the song, the joy was new,
To each angelic tongue;
Swift through the realms of light it flew,
And loud the echo rung.
4. Down through the portals of the sky
The pealing anthems ran,
And angels flew, with eager joy,
To bear the news to man.
5. Hark! the cherubic armies shout,
And glory leads the song,
Peace and salvation swell the note
Of all the heavenly throng.
6. With joy the chorus we'll repeat,
"Glory to God on high;
Good will and peace are now complete,
Jesus was born to die."
7. Hail, Prince of Life, for ever hail!
Redeemer, brother, friend!
Though earth, and time, and life should fail,
Thy praise shall never end.