Lord, I Believe Thy Every Word
- Copyright: Public Domain
Lyrics from A Collection of Sacred Hymns for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Europe, 1840
1. Lord, I believe thy every word,
Thy every promise true;
And, lo! I wait on thee, my Lord,
Till I my strength renew.
2. If in this feeble flesh I may
Awhile show forth thy praise:
Jesus, support the tottering clay,
And lengthen out my days.
3. If such a worm as I can spread,
The common Saviour's name;
Let him who raised thee from the dead
Quicken my mortal frame.
4. Still let me live thy blood to show,
Which purges every stain;
And gladly linger out below,
A few more years in pain.
5. Surely thou canst, I do not doubt,
Thou wilt, thyself impart;
The bond-woman's son cast out,
And take up all my heart.
6. I shall my ancient strength renew:
The excellence divine
(If thou art good, if thou art true)
Throughout my soul shall shine.
7. I shall, a weak and helpless worm,
Through Jesus strengthening me,
And live from sinning free.
8. For this in steadfast hope I wait;
Now, Lord, my soul restore;
Now the new heavens and earth create,
And I shall sin no more.