Jesus the Name That Charms Our Fears
- Copyright: Public Domain
Lyrics from A Collection of Sacred Hymns for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Europe, 1840
1. Jesus the name that charms our fears,
That bids our sorrows cease;
Tis music to the sinner's ears,
'Tis life, and health, and peace.
2. He speaks - and listening to his voice,
Sinners new life receive,
The mournful broken hearts rejoice,
The humble poor believe.
3. Awake from fallen nature's sleep,
And Christ shall give you light;
Cast all your sins into the deep,
And wash the Æthiop white:
4. With me, your chief, ye then shall know,
Shall feel your sins forgiven;
Anticipate your heaven below,
And own that love is heaven.
5. O for a thousand tongues to sing,
My great Redeemer's praise;
The glories of my God and King,
The triumphs of his grace.
6. He breaks the power of cancelled sin;
He sets the prisoner free;
His blood can make the foulest clean;
His blood avails for me.
7. Hear him ye deaf, his praise ye dumb,
Your loosened tongues employ;
Ye blind behold your Saviour come,
And leap ye lame for joy.