He Died! The Great Redeemer Died
- Offering, by George Careless (1839–1932)
- Poet: Isaac Watts (1674–1748), alt.
- Copyright: Public Domain
Lyrics from A Collection of Sacred Hymns for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Europe, 1840
1. He died; the great Redeemer died,
And Israel's daughters wept around;
A solemn darkness veiled the sky,
A sudden trembling shook the ground.
2. Come, saints, and drop a tear or two
For him who groaned beneath your load;
He shed a thousand drops for you,
A thousand drops of precious blood.
3. Here's love and grief beyond degree,
The Lord of glory died for men:
But, lo! what sudden joys were heard,
Jesus, though dead, revived again.
4. The rising Lord forsook the tomb,
In vain the tomb forbid his rise,
Cherubic legions guard him home,
And shout him welcome to the skies.
5. Wipe off your tears, ye saints, and tell
How high your great deliv'rer reigns;
Sing how he triumphed over hell,
And how he'll bind your foe in chains.
6. Say, Live for ever, wondrous King;
Born to redeem, and strong to save.
Then ask the monster, Where's thy sting?
And where's thy vict'ry, boasting grave?