Dear Lord, and Will Thy Pardoning Love
- Copyright: Public Domain
Lyrics from A Collection of Sacred Hymns for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Europe, 1840
1. Dear Lord, and will thy pard'ning love
Embrace a soul so vile?
Wilt thou my load of guilt remove,
And bless me with thy smile?
2. Hast thou discharged my dreadful debt,
And set the pris'ner free?
Can'st thou each bold affront forget,
And save a wretch like me?
3. And shall my proud rebellious heart,
Yet murmur at thy will?
Shall I from thy commands depart,
And wander from thee still?
4. Hast thou for me the cross endured,
And all the shame despised?
And shall I be ashamed, O Lord,
With thee to be baptised?
5. Didst thou the great example lead
In Jordan's swelling flood!
And shall my pride disdain a deed
That's worthy of my God?
6. Dear Lord, thy condescending love
Reproves my cold delays:
My wand'ring steps how slow they move,
How careless in thy ways!
7. And shall I still rebellious stand?
Let fear and shame be gone!
This ordinance is thy command;
Thy will, my God be done!