Begone! Unbelief, My Savior Is Near
To the tune Paderborn
- Lyrics arranged somewhat differently, and in a different combination, by Mark Hamilton Dewey (b. 1980), 2007
- Copyright: Public Domain (even the lyric arrangement, which was released to the public domain on 14 Nov 2007, by the contributer/arranger)
- Contributer: Veramet 21:31, 23 October 2007 (MDT)
Tunes Associated through HymnWiki Sheet Music
Hymn 103 10 10 11 11 1. Begone! unbelief, my Savior is near, And for my relief will surely appear; By prayer let me wrestle, and he will perform, With Christ in the vessel, I smile at the storm. 2. Tho' dark be my way, since he is my guide, 'Tis mine to obey, 'tis his to provide; Tho' cisterns be broken, and creatures all fail, The word he has spoken shall surely prevail. 3. His love in time past forbids me to think He'll leave me at last in trouble to sink; Each sweet Ebenezer I have in review, Confirms his good pleasure to bring me quite through. 4. Since all that I meet shall work for my good, The bitter and sweet, the med'cine is food: Tho' painful at present, 'twill cease before long, And then, O how pleasant the conqueror's song.
Lyrics from Hymns for the Use of the New Church, 1846 (no. 463)
1. Begone, unbelief! my Savior is near, And for my relief will surely appear: His way was much rougher and darker than mine: Did Jesus then suffer, and shall I repine? 2. Though dark be my way, since he is my guide, 'Tis mine to obey, 'tis his to provide: Experience hath taught me on him to repose, Who thus far hath brought me secure from my foes. 3. Why should I complain, when sorrows oppress, Temptation, or pain, or want, or distress? The heirs of salvation, I know from his Word, Through much tribulation must follow their Lord. 4. The promise secure through ages hath stood, That all we endure shall work for our good: Though painful at present the path may be found, It leads where, incessant, true pleasures abound.
- From the Cyber Hymnal™ (7 verses, not including the one above which starts 'The promise secure …')