'Twas the Commission of Our Lord
- Copyright: Public Domain
Lyrics from A Collection of Sacred Hymns for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Europe, 1840
1. 'Twas the commission of our Lord,
"Go, teach the nations, and baptise."
The nations have received the word
Since he ascended to the skies.
2. He sits upon th' eternal hills,
With grace and pardon in his hands,
And sends his cov'nant with the seals,
To bless the distant British lands.
3. "Repent, and be baptised," he saith,
"For the remission of your sins;"
And thus our sense assists our faith,
And shows us what his gospel means.
4. Our souls he washes in his blood,
As water makes the body clean;
And the good spirit from our God
Descends like purifying rain.
5. Thus we engage ourselves to thee,
And seal our cov'nant with the Lord;
O may the great eternal Three,
In heaven our solemn vows record!