'Twas on That Dark, That Solemn Night
- Copyright: Public Domain
Lyrics from A Collection of Sacred Hymns for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Europe, 1840
1. 'Twas on that dark, that solemn night,
When powers of death and hell arose,
Against the Son, e'en God's delight,
And friends betrayed him to his foes:
2. Before the mournful scene began,
He took the bread, and blessed, and brake;
What love through all his actions ran!
What wondrous words of grace he spake!
3. "This is my body broke for sin,
Receive and eat the living food:"
Then took the cup, and blessed the wine,
"Tis the new cov'nant of my blood."
4. For us his flesh with nails was torn,
He bore the scourge, he felt the thorn;
And justice poured upon his head,
Its heavy vengeance in our stead.
5. For us his precious blood was spilt,
To purchase pardon for our guilt:
When for our sins, he suffering dies,
And gave his life a sacrifice.
6. "Do this" he cried, "till time shall end,
In memory of your dying friend;
Meet at my table, and record
The love of your departed Lord."
7. Jesus, thy feast we celebrate,
We show thy death, we sing thy name,
Till thou return, and we shall eat
The marriage-supper of the Lamb.