Come, Thou Glorious Day of Promise
Using the tune Ruth as seen in Relief Society Song Book, 1919, no. 20
- Copyright: Public Domain
- Source: Relief Society Song Book, 1919, no. 20
- Contributor: Veramet 18:23, 21 July 2010 (UTC)
- Poet: Unknown Poet, published as early as 1822—sometimes attributed to Alexander Neibaur (1808–1883 or 1808–1876)
- Note: Early sources pertaining to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints attributed it to Neibaur, but Hymns, 1985 no longer does. I'm not sure why they attributed it to him at first; nor am I sure why they stopped. He would have only been about 14 years old at the time, if he was indeed the lyricist. Veramet 18:26, 21 July 2010 (UTC)
- Copyright: public domain
Lyrics from Relief Society Song Book, 1919, no. 20
1. Come, thou glorious day of promise, Come and spread thy cheerful ray, When the scattered sheep of Israel Shall no longer go astray; When hosannas, When hosannas With united voice they'll cry. 2. Lord, How long wilt Thou be angry; Shall Thy wrath forever burn? Rise, redeem Thine ancient people, Their transgressions from them turn; King of Israel, King of Israel, Come and set Thy people free. 3. Oh, that soon Thou wouldst to Jacob Thy enlivening Spirit send! Of their unbelief and mis'ry Make, O Lord, a speedy end. Lord, Messiah! Lord Messiah! Prince of Peace o'er Israel reign.
Lyrics from Portions of the Psalms of David, 1822, p. 305
1. Come, thou glorious day of promise, Come, and spread thy cheerful ray, When the scattered sheep of Israel Shall no longer go astray, When hosannas With united voice they cry. 2. Lord, how long wilt thou be angry? Shall thy wrath for ever burn? Rise! redeem thine ancient people, Their transgressions from them turn; King of Israel! Come and set thy people free. 3. Oh that soon thou wouldst to Jacob Thine enliv'ning Spirit send; Of their unbelief and mis'ry, Make, O Lord! a speedy end. Lord Messiah! Prince of peace, o'er Israel reign. 4. Glory, honor, praise, and power, Be unto the Lamb for ever: Jesus Christ is our Redeemer. Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Praise ye the Lord. Hallelujah! Praise the Lord.