O Zion, When I Think on Thee
- Copyright: Public Domain
Lyrics from A Collection of Sacred Hymns for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Europe, 1840
1. O Zion, when I think on thee,
I long for pinions like the dove,
And mourn to think that I should be
So distant from the land I love.
2. A captive exile, far from home,
For Zion's sacred walls I sigh,
With ransomed kindred there to come,
And see Messiah eye to eye.
3. While here, I walk on hostile ground,
The few that I can call my friends,
Are like myself, in fetters bound,
And weariness our steps attends.
4. But yet we hope to see the day
When Zion's children shall return;
When all our griefs shall flee away,
And we no more again shall mourn.
5. The thought that such a day will come,
Makes e'en the exile's portion sweet,
Though now we wander far from home,
In Zion soon we all shall meet.